GVCP members Hal Bauer and Hank Stone support the United National Anti-War Coalition (UNAC). Should GVCP join this organization? It looks like a more-or-less routine request. However, some members may not want GVCP to join. This would be particularly important if you know something about UNAC that is less than ideal.
Please send me your thoughts, and I’ll collate them and let the group know in another email message.
Arnie Matlin for GVCP
—— Forwarded Message
From: Hank Stone <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 18:46:24 -0400
To: Arnold Matlin1 <email@example.com>
Subject: United National Anti-War Coalition
These guys are asking peace groups to join them. Are we in? Should we be?
From: Harold Bauer [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:40 PM
Subject: ISRAEL/U.S. WAR ON GAZA’S NAKBA PROTESTS AT APARTHEID WALL
The Israeli mass murder a week ago was so horrible! And then two WH ‘senior advisors’ blame Iran for the shootings by Israeli soldiers.
Begin forwarded message:
From: "UNAC" (via unac Mailing List) <email@example.com>
Subject: [unac] ISRAEL/U.S. WAR ON GAZA’S NAKBA PROTESTS AT APARTHEID WALL
Date: May 14, 2018 at 6:36:57 PM EDT
UNAC STATEMENT ON ISRAEL/U.S. WAR ON GAZA’S NAKBA PROTESTS AT APARTHEID WALL For more than 70 years, Palestinians have endured the crimes of ethnic cleansing, dispossession, disenfranchisement, destruction, and death at the hands of apartheid Israel, with the unqualified backing of the United States, as well as the tolerance of this ongoing trampling on humanity and justice by the international community.
As Israelis celebrate the May 14, 1948, anniversary of the establishment of their state, Palestinians on
May 15 mark the Nakba (“Catastrophe”), the violent ethnic cleansing that forcibly expelled more than 800,000 Palestinians from more than 500 towns and villages that were destroyed or abandoned and annexed. The 1967 occupation drove out thousands more. Today, six million refugees live in the Occupied Territories of Gaza, the West Bank, Jerusalem and the Golan Heights, in squalid refugee camps in adjoining countries, and in the diaspora dispersed worldwide. Those who remain in Israel live as second-class citizens. [read more
The first step in rebuilding the antiwar movement is unity
UNAC is a coalition of over 160 peace and justice organizations in the U.S. If your organization is not a member of UNAC, please click here <https://www.unacpeace.org/join.html> and join.
In April, very successful actions were held in more than 40 cities around the country in what we called the Spring Actions Against the Wars at Home and Abroad. While we received little to no coverage in the main-stream media in the U.S., we were covered by the media from a number of other countries. Those of us who have been overseas representing the antiwar movement have learned how important it is for people struggling against U.S. imperialism abroad to know that there is an antiwar movement in this country and that many, if not most people in the U.S. oppose U.S. military actions abroad.
We are now in one of the most dangerous periods for the entire world. With the Trump administrations’ declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and the moving the U.S. embassy there, Israel has been emboldened to shoot down unarmed Palestinians protesting for their rights. US and Israeli forces have sent missiles into Syria while the U.S. has ended the Iran nuclear agreement. These actions threaten war throughout the entire region and move us closer to conflict with major nuclear powers. The need for an antiwar movement in the U.S. has never been more urgent. Join us <https://www.unacpeace.org/join.html> .
Solidarity with the People of Odessa!
Justice for the Victims of the Massacre of May 2!
US, EU, NATO& IMF out of Ukraine!
No to Fascism – from Charlottesville to Odessa!
On May 2, 2014, the people of Odessa, Ukraine, experienced the worst civil atrocity in Europe since World War II. Scores of people died when a fascist-led mob chased a group of progressive activists into the five-story House of Trade Unions in Kulikovo Pole (square) – and then set it on fire. Some died from the flames, some from smoke inhalation, some from gunshot wounds. Some leapt from the building, only to be beaten to death when they hit the ground. Dozens of cellphone videos posted on the Internet clearly show that this was a mass lynching. Just google “May 2, 2014, Odessa.”
But even though many of the attackers’ faces are clearly visible on the videos, to date not one of the perpetrators has been brought to justice – while victims who survived the fire still languish in prison, many without ever being charged with a crime. Relatives and supporters of those who died on May 2 have steadfastly demanded justice in the form of an international investigation to identify and punish those responsible for the massacre. To date, the Ukrainian government has refused to cooperate with any international body trying to pursue such an investigation.
This May 2 marked the fourth anniversary of the massacre. In Odessa, thousands of people came to Kulikovo Pole to pay their respects for those who died there, defying threats by neo-Nazi organizations who had threatened to attack them.
This month, solidarity actions are taking place across Europe and the United States, honoring those who died on May 2, 2014, and supporting the demand of the people of Odessa for an international investigation.
UNAC’s Odessa Solidarity Campaign, in collaboration with solidarity organizations in Europe, has written a report of these actions, with photos and videos. Please CLICK HERE <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UcJCS2Q2qLxBEp1ai3EB2CMxSut0-pwk/view?usp=sharing> to read the report.
For a World of Justice & Peace for All,
Coordinator, Odessa Solidarity Campaign (a project of UNAC)
Richmond, Virginia USA
Read the UNAC Blog, "End the Wars at Home and Abroad"
New Updates to UNAC Blog:
War on the World
- Thousands of Iranians Take to Streets, Enraged By ‘Insane’ Breach of Nuclear Deal <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/12/thousands-of-iranians-take-to-streets-enraged-by-insane-breach-of-nuclear-deal/> <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/02/11/russiagate-and-the-surveillance-duopoly/>
- Julia Conley describes the Iranian People’s reaction to the US withdrawal from the Iran Deal
- Big stake in Syria war for the 1% and the 99% <https://unac.papillonwebnet/2018/05/11/big-stake-in-syria-war-for-the-1-and-the-99/>
- Bruce Lesnick reminds us that the U.S. war on Syria is a project of the1% that harms the rest of us
Trump and Israeli Collusion <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/02/11/russiagate-and-the-surveillance-duopoly/>
- <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/02/11/russiagate-and-the-surveillance-duopoly/> Margaret Kimberley analyzes the deadly collaboration between Trump and Netanyahu
The Warmakers <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/the-warmakers/>
- The Saker outlines the dangerous US/Israeli drive to war in the Middle East
War and Resistance at Home
- May Day in Puerto Rico: Mass marches combat austerity & privatization <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/may-day-in-puerto-rico-mass-marches-combat-austerity-privatization/>
- Berta Joubert-Ceci: Puerto Rico rises against corporate aggression after Maria’s devastation
- Capitalism Caused the Opiate Epidemic <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/capitalism-caused-the-opiate-epidemic/>
- Princess Harmony shows the context of the horrific opiate epidemic in this country
- Teachers’ Class Struggle Defiance Inspires Millions <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/teachers-class-struggle-defiance-inspires-millions/>
- Jeff Mackler celebrates the new teacher led struggle for worker’s (and children’s) rights
- The Opiod Crisis, Treatment in a Capitalist Society <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/the-opiod-crisis-treatment-in-a-capitalist-society/>
- Princess Harmony talks about treatment options for drug addicts
- GWU Student Senate Passes Divestment Resolution Despite Harassment <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/gwu-student-senate-passes-divestment-resolution-despite-harassment/>
- Jesse Rubin tells a story of the triumph of student activism over harassment
The Underlying Story
- The ‘Fake News’ Story is Fake News <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/08/the-fake-news-story-is-fake-news/>
- Philip Weiss reminds us of the incredible wealth of information on the Internet
- There is a Structural Crisis of Capitalism <https://unac.papillonweb.net/2018/05/11/there-is-a-structural-crisis-of-capitalism/>
- Jipson John interviews Jitheesh P.M. on the current global economic crisis
—— End of Forwarded Message