SAVE THE DATE!
Wednesday, August 15th, 7:30 PM.
Annual GVCP Hiroshima/Nagasaki Candlelight Vigil
Avon traffic circle, Routes 5 & 20, Avon.
Please join Genesee Valley Citizens for Peace for this event! Bring a sign, bring a lawn chair, bring a friend!
This family-friendly event—our 44th year—is a very powerful, moving, public statement of our dedication to peace and nuclear disarmament.
This year is the 73rd anniversary of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Please share this notice with other people and groups who may be interested!
Other helpful information:
- This event will occur rain or shine. In the event of a major storm, the event will be canceled; check your e-mail or text Suzanne Blackburn if you have any concerns (585)245-1649.
- Before the vigil, at 6:30 PM, some people will gather at Tom Wahl’s restaurant, 283 East Main St. (Routes 5 & 20) in Avon for a snack. All welcome!
- In addition to holding our signs at the traffic circle, our evening will include a short address from a young Japanese exchange student, a short period of silent remembrance, singing, and lighting of the candles.
- If you know how to play the guitar and would like to accompany us singing traditional folk songs, please bring your instrument. Contact Suzanne Blackburn if you have questions (585)245-1649.
- The event is expected to wrap up between 8:30 and 9 PM – many people prefer to leave closer to 8:30 while there is still some light. Others may want to stay until 9 to enjoy the candlelight after sundown.
Suzanne Blackburn for GVCP